Friday 10 October 2008

Au, Coq

Well, this particular experience couldn't have been better timed.

I paid a visit to Brasserie St. Jacques with Nicolas. It is a wonderful restaurant with attentive staff, excellent wine and food.

After an indulgent starter dish of bone marrow salad, I ordered main of steak tartare, whilst Nicolas order a Coq au Vin. My main was simply incredible - the best I have ever had (even better than my own!).

Along with the meal, we shared a bottle of Carignan (South France) along with a bottle of Badoit.

The Carignan was a lovely wine, which opened up after time to breathe and had a wonderful persistence to it. As a non-wine person, it was a real treat and an insight into how wonderful a good bottle of wine can be.

Now, had I not been anticipating this Saturday's inaugural 'Minerals & Terroir' tasting, this may have never occurred to me - but after I had drunk the Carignan, I'd sip the water. The high level of sodium in the Badoit completely killed off the taste of the wine in my mouth. Since I had been enjoying the combination of carignan and bone marrow particularly, this was a tad annoying - and made me appreciate just how much relevance 'Minerals & Terroir' would have to fine cuisine.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter